Friday, April 29, 2016

What's Your Worldview? An Interactive Approach to Life's Big Questions by James N. Anderson | Book Review

What's Your Worldview?: An Interactive Approach to Life's Big Questions

This was such an awesome little book!  And it's short, so you have no excuse not to read it after I tell you about it!

I can't think of any way to ease into this:  it's a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style book!!!  I did a large chunk of my growing up in the 1990's, and read a lot of Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books.  I was super, super excited to check out What's Your Worldview? from the library and discover that it was written in the same style!  It was recommended by a guest speaker at my church, and I figured it'd be a good but maybe a little dry read.  WRONG!  I flew through it, and was engaged the whole time.

Dr. Anderson opens the book with an introduction that explains the book's format, and also explains that there's no "right" or "wrong" answers- you are to answer each question as honestly as possible, and then you'll discover your worldview.  He goes on to explain why it's important to know our worldview; to know where we're coming from when we view important issues of our day.  Knowing our own worldview and being able to identify others' worldviews makes it easier for us to communicate.

After the introduction, each page is a standalone.  You read the few paragraphs, then answer a question at the end, then turn to the indicated page to continue your journey.  For example, the question on one page might be "do you believe in evolution?  If yes, turn to page 5.  If no, turn to page 8."  Fun theology!  (You don't see that phrase every day!)

I'm thorough, so after I read the book through answering all the questions honestly I went back and read the pages in between, that don't pertain to my own worldview.  The whole book is so well-written!  Obviously, Dr. Anderson is a Christian with a Christian worldview (he's a professor at Reformed Theological Seminary in Charlotte, NC), but the pages that explore other worldviews don't seem judgmental at all.

So I definitely recommend!  (I read this whole book in less than two hours.  You can totally find that kind of time to check it out!)

*I checked out my copy of What's Your Worldview? from my local library, through our interlibrary loan program.

No comments:

Post a Comment