Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a fun meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  For more information, or to join the fun yourself, check out their blog!

Top Ten Things I've Wanted to Learn More About After Reading About Them in Books

A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23Adventures in Yarn Farming: Four Seasons on a New England Fiber Farm
1. Shepherding!  Ohmygoodness how badly do I want some sheep in my life?  I've read a number of books about them, including A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 by W. Phillip Keller and Adventures in Yarn Farming by Barbara Parry.

Used and Rare: Travels in the Book WorldThe Bookman’s Tale
2. Antique book collecting.  I first read about it in Used and Rare by Lawrence Goldstone and continued to read more about it in The Bookman's Tale by Charlie Lovett.

Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural CrisisScouting the Divine: My Search for God in Wine, Wool, and Wild Honey
3. Honeybees.  I read about them in Fruitless Fall by Rowan Jacobsen and in Scouting the Divine by Margaret Feinberg.

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1)Hollow City (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #2)
4. Weird really old photographs.  I encountered the photos in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and Hollow City by Ransom Riggs and had to do more research into them!

What We Saw at Night (What We Saw at Night, #1)What We Lost in the Dark (What We Saw at Night, #2)
5. Parkour.  I read about it in What We Saw at Night and What We Lost in the Dark by Jacquelyn Mitchard.

BiblioCraft: The Modern Crafter's Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects
6. The back storage stacks at the New York Public Library.  I first read about their rare/special collections in Bibliocraft by Jessica Pigza.

The Zhivago Affair: The Kremlin, the CIA, and the Battle Over a Forbidden Book
7. Book censorship.  I read about it in The Zhivago Affair by Peter Finn.

Under the Wide and Starry Sky
8. Robert Louis Stevenson.  I read Under the Wide and Starry Sky by Nancy Horan and learned so many interesting things about him- I wanted to know even more after that!

The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2)
9. 1920s NYC.  It's the setting for The Diviners and Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray, and I love the parties and the slang!

Dear Miss Breed: True Stories of the Japanese American Incarceration During World War II and a Librarian Who Made a Difference
10. WWII internment camps.  I first read about them in Dear Miss Breed by Joanne F. Oppenheim.

And you?  What cool new things have you been introduced to through books?  Leave a link and I'll pop over to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment