Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday


This is a neat weekly feature over at a blog I really enjoy, The Broke and the Bookish.  They read books similar to some that I've been reviewing, and they're fun and they write well.  Totally worth checking out.

Top Ten Favorite Books in the Fantasy Genre

1. The Lord of the Rings trilogy, of course!  The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

2. The Harry Potter series is a very close second!  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

3. And there's no "fantasy book top ten" that C.S. Lewis would be left off of!  The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair, The Horse and His Boy, The Magician's Nephew, and The Last Battle might have been some of the first fantasy I ever read.

4. Hubby introduced me to the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett.  This was, admittedly, a very reluctant introduction.  I fought it for about three years.  I finally tried one... and immediately read five more.  Yes, I read six in a row!  I know that they don't necessarily have to be read in a series or publication order to enjoy them, but I'm a little obsessive when it comes to that sort of thing, so I'm reading them in publication order.  So far my favorites have been The Colour of Magic (hilarious!), Mort (also hilarious!), and Equal Rites (love it when girls kick butt and take names).

5. Charming by E.L. James.  This was my first urban fantasy and I loved it and I'm going to keep putting it on as many Top Ten lists as possible until someone else reads it with me and loves it as much as I did.  There is much evidence that this is supposed to become a series, but I can't find any info on a 2nd book yet.  Maybe if there was a larger fan base?  I promise this book won't disappoint.  It's hilarious and full of action and the main character is literally Prince Charming.

6. The Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor.  This one makes the list even though I haven't read the final book yet.  This trilogy is that good!  The ones I have read: Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Days of Blood and Starlight.  Don't you just love those titles?  The third one, which I'm eagerly waiting for, is Dreams of Gods and Monsters.

7. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and Hollow City (the sequel) by Ransom Riggs.  I love these books!  And I think there's going to be a third, too.  They are only this far down the list because I haven't had as much time to love them as I have some of the others.  I only discovered them this past year, and I kick myself for waiting that long to try them!

8. The Name of the Star and The Madness Underneath and (coming soon) The Shadow Cabinet by Maureen Johnson.  Another trilogy that I'm only two books into but that I feel deserves to be on this list!  It's got some great elements: London, boarding school, ghosts, a cute boy...

9. Lucid by Adrienne Stoltz.  This is a standalone and I don't think it got a lot of attention when it was released.  It's YA and it's got a gorgeous purple cover.  It's about a girl who literally lives an entirely different life when she's asleep.  But as things get more and more involved in both of her lives the line starts to blur... is she awake?  Is she dreaming?  Which girl is real, and which is a dream?

10:  The Wings series by Aprilynne Pike: Wings, Spells, Illusions, and Destined.  Just a lovely little series!  The main character is a teenage girl who wakes up one morning with a gorgeous set of petal-like wings protruding from her back.  You know, ordinary puberty.  I'd say this is younger YA fantasy, but I definitely enjoyed the ride.  Sometimes you don't need tons of drama in your books.

What about you?  Any favorite fantasy books?

No comments:

Post a Comment