Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Don't Give Up, Don't Give In: Lessons From an Extraordinary Life by Louis Zamperini with David Rensin

Don't Give Up, Don't Give in: Lessons from an Extraordinary Life

I was waaaaaay behind the crowd, and only just read Unbroken last month.  SO. GOOD.  And at the end of it, I wasn't yet ready to say so long to Louie.  I'm very glad that I still had this one to read!

Don't Give Up, Don't Give In is told in chronological order, so the beginning of the book does cover quite a few things already touched upon in Unbroken.  Each chapter, however, is focused on a life lesson, or theme.  This gives a new perspective to the events, and the reader isn't bored at all.  Laura Hillenbrand did a fantastic job relaying the events of Louie's time leading up to and during the war in a highly readable way, but this book gave us Louie's voice.

Don't Give Up, Don't Give In is also much shorter than Unbroken, so it might be more approachable for reluctant readers.    Also, each chapter could be read on it's own, like a vignette.  I am just so impressed by Louis Zamperini, and wish I could have met him.  Now, whenever someone asks the question: "if you could have dinner with anyone living or dead, who would it be?"  Louis Zamperini!

*I borrowed my sister-in-law's copy of Don't Give Up, Don't Give In.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment