Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a fun meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  For more information, or to join the fun yourself, check out their blog!

Top Ten Books From My Childhood/Teen Years That I'd Like to Revisit

Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
1. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.  Of course!  How often do I mention this book?  All the time!  I read my first copy literally to pieces, but you can never have too much Anne.  I plan to reread it soon, for the PopSugar Reading Challenge that I'm doing, as it's also "a book that my mom loves."

Meet Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls: Felicity, #1)
2. The Felicity books by Valerie Tripp.  Yes, I had an American Girl Doll.  And of course it was the redhead Felicity.  I probably read this series a few times over as a kid, and they never got old.  I loved the time period and Felicity's daring.

The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm
3. The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer.  My aunt had recommended this one to me, and I read it, but it didn't say "wow!" to me back then.  I'd like to revisit and see if it lives up to the "sci-fi modern classic" hype.

A Break with Charity: A Story about the Salem Witch Trials
4. Ann Rinaldi books.  I think she's the only author I read in 8th grade!  I'd love to revisit her historical fiction.

The Bronze Bow
5. The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare.  I think this one probably has more layers of meaning than what I picked up on as a kid.

Watership Down
6. Watership Down by Richard Adams.  I read this in 6th grade and it was a struggle.  Probably the thickest book I'd ever attempted at that point.  It took me weeks to read it, and so I don't feel like I ever really got into the story.

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
7. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne.  Another book that I read way too early.  I think this was middle school, too.  I was too ambitious for my own good, and would get bogged down in these super-thick books and miss a lot of the story arch.  I love how my parents never discouraged me from trying these books though!

The Complete Short Stories
8. The Complete Short Stories by Ernest Hemingway.  I fell in love with Hemingway's writing in high school, and went on a binge where I read all of his stuff.  Now, as an adult, I tend to put off rereading in favor of new-to-me books, but I think a visit to Hemingway is in order.

Redwall (Redwall, #1)
9. The Redwall series by Brian Jacques.  I can't even remember if I've ever read the full series.  I think I owned the first book, and maybe checked out a few more from the library.

Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
10. Some Goosebumps books by R.L. Stine.  Why not?  They'd probably take me an hour to read now, and I loved them as a kid.  Why?  I can't remember.  I think they gave me a little scare.  I'd like to revisit and see if they're still scary, or just full of plot holes.  Either way, the man's a marketing genius, and introduced me to the suspense/thriller genre, which I still read today (Stephen King).

What about you?  What books from childhood do you want to revisit?  I absolutely love this week's topic and plan to go visiting around to see others' lists!  Leave me a link and I'll be sure to stop by your blog!

1 comment:

  1. I never read Watership Down. I have heard a lot about the book and kind of know the plot but I haven't picked it up. It didn't come up at my school.
    Thanks for sharing your list!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete