Monday, March 2, 2015

Sheet Pan Suppers: 120 Recipes for Simple, Surprising, Hands-Off Meals Straight From the Oven: *Plus Breakfasts. Desserts. And Snacks, too! by Molly Gilbert | Cookbook Review

Sheet Pan Suppers: 120 Recipes for Simple, Surprising, Hands-Off Meals Straight from the Oven

I love, love, love one-pot meals, Crock-Pot meals, stews, etc... anything that cooks in the bare minimum amount of pans!  Less dishes=happy Marie.

This cookbook delivers on it's title.  It's chock full of recipes that are all cooked on a single sheet pan.  And they're nearly all photographed!  In color!  Ya'll know how I like that.

While I didn't actually pick out any supper recipes to try, I did read through most of them.  There are no super-long ingredients lists with hard-to-find items.  All of the recipes call for ingredients that you might already have around your house!  And since the name of the game is expediency and minimum dishes, most of the recipes require very little prep before you toss everything on the pan to roast.  As the author explains in the introduction, this cookbook came about because she loves to entertain and feed folks, but she doesn't want to be trapped in the kitchen.  All of these recipes will allow you to hang out with your dinner guests instead of hovering over a hot stove.

My only (little) gripe with the book is a purely personal one:  all of the breakfast and dessert recipes are scaled to feed 10 or more!  I'm going to attempt to half a dessert recipe... and I'll still end up with dessert for 5!  But I think it'll freeze well.

I did attempt the Bacon & Biscuits recipe.  How could I turn down BACON?  In a nutshell, you end up cooking bacon (yes, in the oven) and biscuits on the same pan.  So you get all that bacony goodness on the bottoms of the biscuits.  I'm pleased to report that the biscuits do NOT come out overly greasy at all, and are very, very delicious.  I went ahead and made the full batch of 8 biscuits, but then I assembled nearly all of them into individually wrapped biscuit-bacon sandwiches and froze them.  They reheat very well!

Well illustrated, clear instructions, common sense ingredients lists, and low-fuss meals.  I give this cookbook two thumbs up!

*I checked out my copy of Sheet Pan Suppers from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment