Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Mother of All Booklists: The 500 Most Recommended Nonfiction Reads for Ages 3 to 103 by William Patrick Martin | Book Review

The Mother of All Booklists: The 500 Most Recommended Nonfiction Reads for Ages 3 to 103

I love reading books about books.  I'm super nerdy like that.



Also, NC was among the many, many states that adopted Common Core this past year, so I figure that more teens (and their parents) will be coming into the library looking for enjoyable nonfiction.

I ended up enjoying this book more than I thought!  I read through most of it, instead of just skimming or using as a resource.  The author opens by telling the reader how he came to this particular list.  He used an algorithm and a LOT of different "best of" lists and awards lists to compile his original HUGE list, then pared it down to 100 books each for 5 different age groups by giving each book a "vote" for every list it appeared on.  The 500 books with the most "votes" are included in the book.  The first five chapters are 100 books each for 5 different age groups:  preschool, early reader, middle grades, young adult, and adult.  Each book has a cover image (black and white); title, author name, and illustrator name (if there was one); and a few sentences synopsis.  There isn't any opinion in these synopses; just a few sentences to orient the reader to the subject matter.  After these chapters, there's a list of the featured books in alphabetical order by authors' last names.  Then the author takes it to another level of helpfulness and lists all the books again, this time grouped by subject.  Super helpful!

Overall, a great resource.  I know I found a few new books to add to my ever-growing tbr list!

*I checked out my copy of The Mother of All Booklists from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment