Monday, August 3, 2015

Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate by Jerry Bridges | Book Review

Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate

A short review of a short book!

Even though short, it packs a big punch.  Definitely worth every penny.  Christians have no trouble identifying sins in others, especially big ones, like murder or abortion.  However, Jerry Bridges is quick to point out that we often act on "respectable" sin impulses, even as we pray for the "sinful" world around us.

Would you say that anxiety is a sin?  I hadn't thought of it that way until a talk by one of our pastors a few months ago.  When he cited this book, I immediately requested it from my library.  I'm so glad I did!  Anxiety is just one of about a dozen "respectable" sins Bridges mentions.  In each section, he tells the reader why the action is a sin (anxiety, not to keep you waiting, is sinful because the action implies a distrust in God's plan for your future), how he himself has been guilty of it, cites Scripture to back up his argument (can't argue with Scripture), and how to work on it.

I had to request this book via my library's interlibrary loan service, and am definitely considering purchasing for my home library.  I couldn't help reading sections aloud to the hubby.  Very convicting, and very recommended.

*I checked out my copy of Respectable Sins from my local library, who procured it via interlibrary loan from Knoxville, TN.  (I love seeing where my interlibrary loan books come from!)

No comments:

Post a Comment