Friday, March 18, 2016

Mama Tried: Dispatches From the Seamy Underbelly of Modern Parenting by Emily Flake | Book Review

Mama Tried: Dispatches from the Seamy Underbelly of Modern Parenting

Third trimester... I'm tired.  I feel awkward.  I'm sore in new-to-me places.  I'm looking for a laugh.  You may remember my review of Situation Momedy?  (click on title to re-read, if you'd like)  I literally laughed out loud at that one!  This one?  Not so much.

It's a very short read, with plenty of illustrations.  The author is a cartoon artist for The New Yorker, so that's a pretty cool feature of the book.

However... the jokes fell a little flat for me.  I know I won't be a perfect mom, but I don't plan to sit glassy-eyed in front of Netflix for days on end during maternity leave.  I do plan to buy some of the nicer baby gear- in some cases (like car seats), it's a safety thing!  I also wouldn't poke fun at mommy groups- I've found some expectant moms out there who have been FANTASTIC support!  I look forward to continuing to talk to them when we all have babies.  

I don't think I laughed out loud once while reading this book.  It was just a little harsh for my taste.  Oh well.

*I impulsively picked up Mama Tried from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment