Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The Double Comfort Safari Club by Alexander McCall Smith

The Double Comfort Safari Club (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, #11)

Another good installment in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series!  This is #11, and I'm still totally on board with these characters.  I so want to have tea with Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi!

Like in Tea Time for the Traditionally Built, there's a little bit of a serious side to The Double Comfort Safari Club.  Mma Makutsi's fiancee is injured!  He even has to go to the hospital for assistance.  Poor Mma Makutsi.  But I was impressed with her fortitude, and with Mma Ramotswe's kind and gentle support.  They may quibble occasionally, but they truly are the best of friends.

And like best friends occasionally do, they go on a road trip in this book!  The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency is hired by an American lawyer to locate an African guide who works at a safari camp, and there's no phone out there:  the ladies must trek out into the wild themselves to locate him!  If you've read this series, you are probably as amused as I was at the thought of these particular ladies on safari.  Anyone want to guess what item of clothing Mma Makutsi suggests they purchase in preparation for their trip?  ;)

I'm still listening to the series on audiobook, and the same narrator is staying strong through this one as well.  For me, this series is like a warm, soft afghan or mac'n'cheese or hot tea:  just so freaking comforting.  I love that I "know" the characters and that there's no nail-biting required and that there's guaranteed laughter.  I highly recommend this series!

*I checked out my copy of The Double Comfort Safari Club from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment