Monday, April 21, 2014

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater | Audiobook Review

(Like with Shiver, I actually kind of like these covers.  I mean, it's a little weird with the spot of blood over the "i" but it's not bad.)

Honestly, I was totally torn over how to rate and review this book.  Sounds crazy, right?  But I really liked the layout of the book and I think Maggie Stiefvater is a talented storyteller... and at the same time the characters drove me totally nuts.  Does that make sense?

In Linger, Sam and Grace are finally living happily ever after.  And Isabelle is trying to move on.  And the pack is mostly still wolf, but Beck set it up so that should all work out too.  

Sort of.

In reality:  Sam really is doing alright with his new non-wolfness.  Grace is sick.  Really bad headaches, stomachaches, nosebleeds, fever.  Isabelle is falling for a new wolf, despite having just lost her brother the wolf-sickness.  The new wolf, Cole, is not who he's saying he is.  And that could be dangerous for the pack.

The plot is kind of where the book lost some ratings stars for me.  Despite having his own house, Sam is sleeping at Grace's house, with her, every night.  Remember:  Grace is a teenager who still lives at home with her parents.  Yes, they're workaholics and should probably have shown more interest in their kid before it got to this point, but still.  Then Grace is crazy bad sick and Sam sees this and doesn't press her to get medical attention for weeks.  Isabelle notices and thinks she might have meningitis but never thinks to mention this suspicion to anyone.  COME ON, PEOPLE.  Get it together!!!

Also, I'm not positive the entire Cole storyline was even necessary.  It has been years since I read Shiver so maybe I forgot something.  And it did add some excitement, so I'm not griping too hard.

So now for the positives, because there were some.  First, Maggie Stiefvater is a good writer.  The story was as well-written as it could be.  It's right on target for the age range.  And there's nothing wrong with leisure reading.  Second, I loved the audiobook format.  They got four readers to do it, so each character literally had it's own voice, which I love.

So... 3 of 5 stars.  I'd really have given it 2.5, but Goodreads makes me round.

No comments:

Post a Comment