Friday, June 20, 2014

At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon | Re-Read Book Review


I just love the Mitford books so very, very much.  I read the first nine years ago, about the time that they were released.  These books hold an extra special place in my heart because I read the first six or so aloud with my mom.  I was in late middle school and early high school in the years that we spent reading these books together.  A few nights of the week we'd convene in my bed, snuggle up together like I was a little kid and we'd pass the book back and forth, taking turns reading aloud.  By the end of high school I was so busy and "grown up" and we ended the tradition, sadly.  But I kept up with the book series on my own.  It's been nearly ten years since the last Mitford book was released, but I've just caught wind of a tenth Mitford book, to be released in September.  So I've embarked on a re-read of the first nine so that I'm caught up with residents of Mitford prior to the release of Somewhere Safe With Somebody Good.

I really like the summary of At Home in Mitford provided on Goodreads, so I'm going to share it:  "Enter the world of Mitford, and you won't want to leave.  It's easy to feel at home in Mitford.  In these high, green hills, the air is pure, the village is charming, and the people are generally lovable.  Yet, Father Tim, the bachelor rector, wants something more.  Enter a dog the size of a sofa who moves in and won't go away.  Add an attractive neighbor who begins wearing a path through the hedge.  Now, stir in a lovable but unloved boy, a mystifying jewel theft, and a secret that's sixty years old.  Suddenly, Father Tim gets more than he bargained for.  And readers get a rich, provincial comedy in which mysteries and miracles abound."

No comments:

Post a Comment