Thursday, October 23, 2014

A Hero for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi | Audiobook Review


Throwback Thursday Review!

I originally read A Hero for WondLa in July 2013.  I gave it 5 of 5 stars and wrote a review!

First, here's what Goodreads has to say about it:  Eva Nine has finally found what she has always been looking for; other human beings.  Having been rescued by Hailey, Eva couldn't be happier, and now Hailey is taking Eva and her friends to the human colony New Attica, where humans of all shapes and sizes live in apparent peace and harmony.  But all is not as idyllic as it seems.

And here's what I wrote:  Warning.  Minor spoilers.  I give away a small piece of the plot.

I had to put this book on a LOT of "shelves" here at Goodreads!  It got 5 stars from me, I listened to it as an audiobook (it had a great reader!), it's sort of fantasy, sort of fiction, sort of middle-grades dystopia, and I'd definitely recommend this series to any and all middle schoolers!

A Hero for WondLa is the second book in the delightful WondLa series by Tony DiTerlizzi.  It's a book for both genders; the main character and point of view is a young girl, Eva 9, but she has a close companion/guide/friend who is an adult male alien.  In the first book, The Search for WondLa, we see Eva 9 come of age and leave her sanctuary (home) for the first time.  In this book, Eva has grown and matured some, but is still very excited to experience new places and meet new people/creatures/aliens.

I love that this book takes all the great aspects of YA dystopian fiction and takes out all the hard violence and "darkness" and mushy romance to make it suitable for the younger set.  But because it has some harder subjects, like Eva 9 still dealing with the loss of her mother, or finding out through trial and error who she trusts, it could still appeal to teens or even older folks, like me.

*I received my copy of A Hero for WondLa from my public library.

No comments:

Post a Comment