Thursday, October 9, 2014

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare | Book Review

(Not thrilled with the giant glowing naked man chest, and I see from other reviews that I'm not alone.  It's just weird.)

Throwback Thursday Review!

I originally read City of Bones November 2013.  I gave it 4 of 5 stars.  And I wrote nothing.  Urg.  I probably just figured there were more than enough reviews on the book by the time I read it.  But I have come to realize that I need notes for ME!  I use Goodreads for Readers Advisory, and I need notes!

I enjoyed City of Bones (obvs; see the 4-of-5 star rating), but I don't think it's going to become a classic that is read and re-read through the generations (like Harry Potter).  In fact, I've seen a lot of reviewers making the connection between City of Bones and Harry Potter fanfic.  Personally, I didn't really see it.  But whatever.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

Clary is fifteen and she goes out to a nightclub in NYC where she witnesses three tough-looking teens commit a murder.  But wait-- did she?  ....?  There's no blood.  No body.  And no one else saw the murder.  This is how Clary is introduced to the Shadowhunters, an elite group of fighters specifically trained to hunt demons.  They're supposed to be covered with a glamour that makes them invisible, but somehow Clary, a mundane, has The Sight and can see them.  Next thing you know, Clary's mom is missing and Clary is attacked by a demon.  Clary bands together with Jace, Alec, and Isabelle to try to discover what happened to her mom and why Clary has The Sight.  Along the way the four teens will learn a lot about themselves and others, like Clary's mom's friend Luke.  Does he know more than he's saying?  And why oh why does a mundane (Clary) have The Sight?  (I know I'm being repetitive on that.  The book itself is repetitive on that.)

Overall, an entertaining read with great set-up for the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment