Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens | Audiobook Review


Throwback Thursday Review!

I'll be reviewing The Fire Chronicle next Thursday, and you know how I am... I never want to review a book without reviewing the books before it in the series!

I originally listened to The Emerald Atlas in January 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I gave it 5 of 5 stars on Goodreads, but didn't write down my reasoning.  My library shelves this in the Juv section, but it's solidly middle grades.  I think some younger teens would even find it interesting.  I know that I did, and I'm supposedly an adult!  It's got a really rich setting, and the characters' interactions are so very real and deep.

The Emerald Atlas is the story of three siblings who have grown up in one orphanage after another.  They love each other fiercely and stick together tighter than glue.  Little do they know, but they are living separate from their parents as a means of protection against magical forces that could harm them.  When they discover a very special atlas, their lives are changed forever and a grand adventure begins!

Obviously, I loved the book enough to listen to the 2nd book!  Oh, and I should mention that Jim Dale is one of my favorite narrators.  I think he does mostly children's lit.  His voice is just the right, comfortable tone and his cadence is slow enough for comprehension and clarity but not lagging.  And slightly British (I think?)

*I checked out my copy of The Emerald Atlas from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment