Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Fox Bunny Funny by Andy Hartzell

Fox Bunny Funny

This book was recommended during a diverse books readers advisory training that I attended at work last year.  My library owns it, so I checked it out.  What an interesting read!

First, it should be noted that Fox Bunny Funny is a wordless graphic novel.  My library shelves it in the adult graphic novel section, but it has definite teen appeal.  It takes place in a world inhabited by foxes and bunnies, where the natural order is that foxes eat bunnies.

(But wait, you say:  isn't that obvious?  Of course foxes eat bunnies!)

What takes this scenario up a level:  in this world, foxes and bunnies wear clothes and go shopping and go to school and drive cars.  So it feels a bit more malicious than the known prey-predator relationship we're used to.

The story primarily follows one fox of undetermined gender, who appears to be about teenaged.  The reader experiences the fox/bunny world through their eyes, and are allowed to form their own opinions about what is happening.  

Fox Bunny Funny isn't terribly discreet about it's message:  it's very obviously anti-racism/anti-sexism.  Anti- some-kind-of-ism.  It's hard to tell what the exact "-ism" is since it's played out between foxes and bunnies.  Even with a kind of heavy-handed message, it's still a good story, with good pacing.

And now I can say that I've read my first wordless book!

Oh, and the artwork!  Clean black-and-white.  I liked it.  And it very much fit the story line.

*I checked out my copy of Fox Bunny Funny from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment