Friday, January 8, 2016

Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith | Audiobook Review

Morality for Beautiful Girls (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #3)

What a fun series!  I don't read these because they're earth-shattering or award-winning or recommended by coworkers.  I read these because they're light and enjoyable during my commute.  I love how with every book in the series I get more and more familiar with Mma Ramotswe's Botswana village.  If it were a really place, I feel like I could find her cozy house on Zebra Drive and hang out with her.  (If she'd let me.)

Morality for Beautiful Girls continues the saga of Mma Ramotswe and Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni (nope; still not married), and also gives us a nice mystery for Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi to solve.

This has been my favorite mystery so far.  Mma Ramotswe is asked to investigate the four finalists of Botswana's national beauty pageant, and make sure that all of them are upstanding young ladies.  We are all familiar by now with Mma Ramotswe's rather strict sense of Botswana social mores, so this assignment is right up her alley.  Also, all of her traveling around Botswana lets us "see" even more gorgeous African scenery.

I do these books as audiobooks during my commute, and sometimes find myself laughing out loud.  The narrator's gently lilting accent keeps me calm even when other drivers are acting the fool on the road.  I definitely recommend.

*I checked out my copy of Morality for Beautiful Girls from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment