Thursday, January 7, 2016

What to Expect When You're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff | Book Review

What to Expect When You're Expecting

Yes, of course I read What to Expect When You're Expecting!  I'm a reader/researcher through and through, and I'm pregnant.  My doctor told me to go ahead and read anything/everything I wanted, just so long as I came back to them with any questions before making lifestyle changes.  My friends told me not to read it; that it was too much information and would scare me.

I ended up reading a lot of it very late at night, unable to sleep due to morning (ha ha ha... it's 24/7, y'all) sickness, aches, and/or tooth/gum pain.  I ended up feeling really reassured by the book.  I had some symptoms that felt horrible in the moment, but there was a chance they wouldn't last (they didn't; I feel great now in my 2nd trimester), and I wasn't alone, and it could be much worse.  

I give What to Expect When You're Expecting two thumbs up.  I would continue to caution people that it is quite dense in information, and not all of it will apply to every person.  But overall, I loved learning more about what I was experiencing, and what was to come.

The book is broken into different sections.  First there's pre-conception, about how to eat right and track ovulation and what to expect with IVF (if needed).  I skipped this; I didn't buy the book until I was two months in!  My favorite section is the one that walks you through the pregnancy month by month, with what to expect and what you should try to accomplish.  There's tons of great advice about what to eat to make sure Baby is getting enough of the nutrients they need and what simple exercises you can do to stay in shape and to prevent/treat some of the aches.  It also tells about Baby's development month by month.  I was so excited to read that at a certain week, my baby was developing a beating heart, or now able to flex fingers and toes.  You can't see in there, so I loved that connection of reading what Baby might be up to!

There's a section on labor and delivery of course too, that I only skimmed.  I plan to re-read more thoroughly when I get closer.  It has lots of advice on what to ask or look for on a hospital tour and advice on finding a doula/midwife if you'd like one, and on what to pack for the hospital.  I do remember seeing that I should pack snacks for Hubby, because I might be there in labor in the middle of the night!  At the end of the book is the "scary" section; everything that might go wrong during the pregnancy and/or labor.  I only skimmed this section too.  I can see why someone might recommend that a pregnant lady skip that section.  But my doctor keeps telling me that Baby & I are fine, so I'm not worrying.  (Especially since I feel so much better!)

Overall, I'd say this is a great reference.  I read a lighter book, The Real Deal Guide to Pregnancy, concurrently for some more simple, real-life advice too.  It was a good balance.  I would recommend that.

*I own my copy of What to Expect When You're Expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment