Thursday, January 14, 2016

Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton | Audiobook Review

Orthodoxy

At my church, we have a "Pastor's Book Club" and participants can read books selected by our head pastor and then gather to discuss them.  I haven't been able to attend a meeting yet, but I try to read as many of the books as possible.  Orthodoxy was one of the selections.

This was a deep book.  In hindsight, it was maybe not a listen-to-while-commuting book.  I might need to re-read in the future.  For a short book, it packs a big punch!

Orthodoxy is the story of G.K. Chesterton's own conversion in his very young adult years.  The first chapter introduces the book as a "positive" counterpoint to his other book, Heretics.  If this is the positive counterpoint, I don't know if I want to read Heretics!  This book is definitely convicting.  (Which isn't always a bad thing; don't get me wrong.)

There were lots of great quotes to be taken from this one, though.  It is great for apologetics, as it takes unarguable historical facts and uses them to build a basis for faith.  Unfortunately, I read this a couple months ago (while in the throes of grad school) and don't remember any exact quotes to share.  You'll just have to check it out!

I do recommend Orthodoxy, but I think I recommend a physical copy rather than an audiobook.

*I checked out my copy of Orthodoxy from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment