Monday, January 11, 2016

The Kalahari Typing School for Men by Alexander McCall Smith | Audiobook Review

The Kalahari Typing School for Men (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #4)

Oh, how I love this fun series!  I have had the best luck finding good series for audiobook listening on my commute.  First the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich (fun stories + good narrator) and now The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith (also fun stories + good narrator + good setting).  The Kalahari Typing School for Men is the fourth book in this series.

I think The Kalahari Typing School for Men is one of my favorite No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books so far!  Up until now, Precious' detective agency hasn't only be the No. 1 Ladies' detective agencies in Botswana; it's been the only detective agency in Botswana.  In this story, a new detective agency opens in town in competition!  I loved reading how Precious handles this "threat" with her very strong feelings about propriety and all.  Also in this book, we get to learn a lot more about her assistant, Mma Makutsi.  I really enjoyed learning more about her background, and her current home life, and her hopes and dreams.  At one point I think I started liking her as a character even more than Precious!  Turns out she's a very strong person, and very smart, and very kind.  The titular Kalahari Typing School for Men is all her idea.

These books aren't terribly deep or dense, but they are definitely enjoyable.  Especially, in my humble opinion, as audiobooks.  I'd have no clue how to pronounce all the Botswana names!  I'm quite content to let a narrator read the book to me.  On top of the lovely little insights into the characters' lives, you also get a mystery or two for the detectives to solve, and a great setting.  Alexander McCall Smith describes Botswana in such a way that makes me want to go there!

*I checked out my copy of The Kalahari Typing School for Men from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment