Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Advent in Narnia: Reflections for the Season by Heidi Haverkamp | Book Review

Advent in Narnia: Reflections for the Season

Loved it!  Advent in Narnia fit perfectly into my 2015 Advent season.  But then, I had a feeling I'd love it.  I did already know that I love The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  :)

This book is so versatile!  It can definitely stand on it's own, without co-reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  In fact, in the introduction the author says that it is written in such a way that you can even just watch the movie and not read the book at all and still understand the connections.  I think that's accurate.  I also told a sister-in-law that the book felt appropriate for nearly all ages.  Maybe six or seven years and up?  The daily passages are short, and all the material/information is appropriate for all ages.  

Advent in Narnia can be explored on your own (as I did), or as a family, or with a small group.  If you do the reflections as a family, there's an appendix at the end with ideas for how to throw a "Narnia Night" to either kick things off or celebrate the end of Advent.  (You could totally do Narnia Night with your church or small group too.)  If you go through the book with a small group, there's another appendix with a leader guide with good thought-provoking questions.

Everything is included in this book!  I love that.  Every day's reflections starts with a Scripture or two, and they're printed in full in the book.  Then the author lets you know what the corresponding chapter is in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, in case you want to read along in that too.  (I did.)  And at the end of the day's reflection, there are some good, thoughtful reflection questions.

Overall, a fantastic book.  I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up!

*I received my copy of Advent in Narnia from the publisher in exchange for my fair and honest review.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment