Monday, January 6, 2014

Awakened by PC & Kristin Cast | Audiobook Review


My Thoughts

This is my first audiobook review, but it won't be my last.  One of my goals for 2014 is to review at least 65% of the books I read, so there'll be some audiobooks in there.  My commute is about half an hour on a really good day; it can be upwards of 45-60 minutes during typical rush hours.  I log a lot of audiobook hours in traffic!

Audiobook reviews are really hard for me.  I so often feel that my opinion of an audiobook gets really heavily flavored by what's going on while I'm listening to it.  For instance, in 2011 I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer via audiobook.... while painting my kitchen.  Ya'll, I detest painting rooms.  Especially kitchens!  I was huffing and puffing (inhaling paint fumes, of course) moving a very heavy stove and refrigerator and taping and re-taping and priming painting and painting a second layer and putting allllll the really heavy appliances back into place while I was listening to the book.  I was just generally irritable because I'm one of those people who really prefers to have their house in nice, clean order at all times and my kitchen was a wreck for three days.... And I gave the book a double thumbs down.  I know!!  I'm a horrible horrible horrible person.  I re-read the book in physical book form two years later and loved it.  It's a great work of literature.  I'm so sorry Ms. Barrows and Ms. Shaffer!!!  

All that to say that you really probably shouldn't completely rely on my audiobook reviews.  You might have a totally different experience.  But here we go anyway... 

Awakened is book 8 of the House of Night series.  I've been binge-listening to these back to back in my car, so I'm a little fuzzy sometimes on where one left off and the next began plot-wise.  This is the review I posted to Goodreads, and it applies to the series as a whole:

"This series is like junk food.  Like Lucky Charms cereal for the mind.  So unhealthy.  So saccharine.  A random mixed bag of characters.  Some of the books leave you feeling slightly sick... definitely regretful.  But I keep going back to the drama circus.  Why?  No clue.  On to Destined..."

So rest assured, good reader:  I won't be posting reviews of each of the twelve or so books in this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment