Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Shining by Stephen King | Book Review

(This book is so popular that roughly a bajillion editions/covers have been released.  This is the cover on the paperback copy I read.  The hubby and I own it.)

When I got married, I hadn't read any Stephen King books but I had seen The Green Mile on TV (so, I presume, cleaned up a bit).  Hubby is a HUGE King fan, and it wasn't long at all before I was addicted too!  He already owned a ton of Stephen King books, and we've been adding to the collection together, so I'm not sure if he already owned The Shining or if I bought it.  Either way, we own a well-loved (soft!) paperback copy with the cool cover seen above.  I originally read this in 2010 and I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads, but I didn't write a review.  This book has been reviewed and reviewed and reviewed nearly to death, so I won't agonize over my missing review.  I already knew that I loved The Shining; now that I've read and LOVED Doctor Sleep I'm trying to convince the hubby to read them.  Can you believe he hasn't read The Shining yet?  CRAZY!

Here's the summary, courtesy of Goodreads.  Just so that you're caught up before I review Doctor Sleep tomorrow!

"Danny was only five years old but in the words of old Mr. Halloran he was a 'shiner,' aglow with psychic voltage.  When his father became caretaker of the Overlook Hotel his visions grew frighteningly out of control.  As winter closed in and blizzards cut them off, the hotel seemed to develop a life of its own.  It was meant to be empty, but who was the lady in Room 217, and who were the masked guests going up and down in the elevator?  And why did the hedges shaped like animals seem so alive?  Somewhere, somehow there was an evil force in the hotel-and that too had begun to shine..."

No comments:

Post a Comment