Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday


This is a neat weekly feature over at a blog I really enjoy, The Broke and the Bookish.  They read books similar to some that I've been reviewing, and they're fun and they write well.  Totally worth checking out!

Top Ten Books I'm Not Sure I Want to Read for Various Reasons

I'm afraid I don't have a list today.  I have only once DNFed a book, and I still kind of regret it.  I'll probably go back and try again some day soon.  (The White Bicycle by Beverley Brenna)  I will try anything and everything, and I'll give it a really good fair chance.  I listened to the first nine House of Night books by P.C. and Kristen Cast, for example.  And we know what kind of shining literature that is...  (not).  So rather than a list, this is my statement: I'm a lover of books and the characters contained within; I don't discriminate and I (almost always, except for The White Bicycle) give books a full chance.

Please don't misunderstand; I do not think that my method is better than those who are more discerning in taste!  I have probably wasted some time along the way, by doggedly not giving up on books that just weren't for me.  But I doubt myself; I ask myself "what if it gets really good in the second half and I miss that?  What if every other reviewer loves loves loves this book and I've given up on it?"  So I persevere and finish the book.

There have been some books that I've doubted from the start that turned out to be great (Born Confused by Tanuja Hidier; I thought it was too long and that we'd get bogged down in the middle but I was wrong!  The pacing was excellent and I flew through it... or Charming by James Elliott; I would've told you that I didn't like urban fantasy... but I tried it and I LOVED it and I now it regularly makes my Top Ten lists) and there are some I was really excited for and then ended up being disappointed in.  I just love letting books surprise me.

What about you?  What books are you unsure of?  Or are you like me, unable to refuse a book?

No comments:

Post a Comment