Wednesday, June 10, 2015

A Year in the Life of Downton Abbey: Seasonal Celebrations, Traditions, and Recipes by Jessica Fellowes | Book Review

A Year in the Life of Downton Abbey: Seasonal Celebrations, Traditions, and Recipes

This book wasn't quite what I expected, but it was still a really good book.  It's broken up month by month, and takes us through the 5th season of the show.  In each chapter, we find out what the behind-the-cameras crew are doing, what the actors are portraying, a couple of pertinent recipes, and a "Spotlight" section that highlights a cast or crew member, or a historical note.

I learned a lot of fun little facts about the show and all the effort that goes into a season.  I don't know about you, but knowing more about the behind-the-scenes work actually deepens my appreciation of movies and shows.

One little drawback was the recipes.  Most of them weren't appealing at all (like Potted Salmon, a method of preserving flaked salmon in butter in jars) or were too complicated or called for too many out-of-the-ordinary ingredients.  Oh well.

A bonus:  lots and lots of photos of the actors on set, both in a show's scenes and behind the scenes!

I would definitely recommend this book to any Downton fan.

*I checked out my copy of A Year in the Life of Downton Abbey from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment