Monday, June 8, 2015

Somebody Up There Hates You by Hollis Seamon | Book Review

Somebody Up There Hates You

This is going to be a very short review because the book only gets 1 of 5 stars from me, and I really hate writing non-positive reviews.

Also, I want to be clear:  I did not care for this book.  That's not a personal attack on the author.

I read somewhere, can't remember where, a comparison of this book to The Fault in Our Stars.  I read The Fault in Our Stars.  I really fell hard for Hazel Grace and  Augustus and Isaac.  I laughed out loud at Augustus' witty repartee and nearly cried when a character passed away.  That connection simply didn't happen in Somebody Up There Hates You.  The main character just isn't likable, and I think he's supposed to be.  He's definitely pitiable.  But definitely not likable.  And other characters are outright caricatures, or just totally 1D.  (Flatter even than 2D!)  

The entire book takes place in a hospital hospice wing, and the main character is a teenage boy with terminal cancer.  I couldn't quite discern a plot, other than just following the day to day action in this kid's life?  

I really do hate to say this, but not only was this book not for me, but I can't imagine who it could be for.  

*I received an ARC of Somebody Up There Hates You in exchange for my fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment