Wednesday, September 24, 2014

My Drunk Kitchen: A Guide to Eating, Drinking & Going With Your Gut by Hannah Hart | Cookbook (?) Review


So... I think this is a cookbook review?  Maybe?  There are a lot of sorta-recipes in this book.  Also, though, a lot of talk about life in general.  So maybe it's a self-help/motivational review?  Either way, this book was not at all what I expected, but that's often ok.  I kind of enjoy have my preconceptions thrown on the ground and smashed; it opens me up to new things!

As I mentioned, if you're looking for a cookbook, this is probably not the book for you.  The "recipes" are very, very vague and sometimes don't even involve food.  For example, early in the book there's a recipe entitled "Can Bake."  The ingredients list: a can! and something to put on top of the can!  Hannah then goes on to tell the reader to open the can, put something on top of the can, put the can on the top rack of the oven, close the door, and check back in 10 minutes.  No oven temp given.  She does give suggestions for combos, like to put a potato on top of an opened can of chili, or puff pastry on top of a can of fruit.  I'm going to be brave and try one of her "recipes" for PB&J&PC, which is essentially a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with potato chips thrown in for crunch.  I know, I know: weird, right?  But I have heard of people doing this so I think it'll be good.

In between the half-hearted "recipes," Hannah dispenses life advice about kitchen safety while imbibing ("Kitchen Basics"), growing up and getting out on your own for the first time ("Adultolescence"), love and relationships (she specifically talks about her experiences discovering that she is gay and coming out to friends & family in "So This is Love"), and family ("Family and the Holidays").  I thought the first two sections were pretty funny and full of great little quips.  The second two sections didn't really do much for me... I'm straight and I actually enjoy time with my family, on holidays and in between.  

In reading the introduction to the book, I learned that Hannah is already a YouTube star for her vlog "My Drunk Kitchen."  I hadn't known that before ordering the book from the library, or maybe I would've known what to expect.  I like to cook, and I like to try new cocktails.... I thought this would be a cookbook with food/wine/cocktail pairings.

So I give this book 2.5 of 5 stars.  I had a few giggles and I'm going to try a newish sandwich, but I'm not into it enough to subscribe to the YouTube channel or request any future books from Hannah.  Not a terrible book, but I may not be the right audience.

*I checked out my copy of My Drunk Kitchen from my public library.

No comments:

Post a Comment