Thursday, September 18, 2014

Velva Jean Learns to Fly by Jennifer Niven | Book Review

(Another excellent cover!  I like the picture, the layout, and even the font!)

Throwback Thursday Review!

I originally read Velva Jean Learns to Fly in July 2013 and I gave it 5 of 5 stars on Goodreads.  I loved it!  At the end of Velva Jean Learns to Drive, Velva Jean drives down off Fair Mountain in her bright yellow truck, leaving behind a failed marriage and going away to pursue her own dreams.  Velva Jean Learns to Fly opens with Velva Jean arriving in Nashville, intent to sing at the Grand Ole Opry.  This girl has got GUMPTION.  I love it!  She knows what she wants and she won't let anyone tell her otherwise.  She never lets circumstances get her down or stop her.  She just keeps overcoming.  I want to be Velva Jean's best friend and cheerleader!  As the title suggests, Velva Jean goes on from her dream of singing to take on the lofty goal of learning to fly airplanes.  And you know Velva Jean (or you will, after you read Velva Jean Learns to Drive): she definitely doesn't let the fact that she's a girl (in the 1940s!) stop her.

Coming up next: Becoming Clementine, the third Velva Jean book!

*I received my copy of Velva Jean Learns to Fly from my public library.

No comments:

Post a Comment