Thursday, July 10, 2014

Delirium by Lauren Oliver | Book Review

(Not really a huge fan of the cover, but it's definitely not the worst I've seen.)

I originally read Delirium in December 2012.  I gave it 5 of 5 stars on Goodreads and did not write a review.  Bummer.  I do remember that this was among the first dystopian books that I read, and still being so over-the-top fascinated with the genre.  (Don't get me wrong; I still love me some dystopia, but I'm a little more discerning now.)  I really don't remember too many details about the book.  I don't even remember if it was written in alternating POVs or if it's just from Lena's POV.  I do really like the concept.  It's two girls, Lena (main character) and Hana, who are coming of age in Portland at some point in the future.  In this new time, the government has declared love to be a disease.... one that they think they can cure via surgery.  So when you turn 18 (give or take a few months) you have this surgery to become "deliria free" and then you either go to college or you get a "pair."  (That's like getting married, except the pairing is based on similar likes/dislikes/hobbies.)  Society has been totally indoctrinated to think that this is the best thing for everyone.  They even have a sort-of-religious book that everyone is mandated to keep in their house, The Book of Shhh, that's pretty clearly a re-written and heavily edited Bible.  Anyway, Lena and Hana are teenage girls and they're looking forward to their futures and then Lena meets a boy.  *cue dramatic music*  When love is illegal, what are you to do when you fall in love for the first time?

Two years later I still have fond memories of this book and stand by my 5 star rating and recommend it to others.

Here's how Goodreads sums it up:
Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe.  I wonder whether the procedure will hurt.  I want to get it over with.  It's hard to be patient.  It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet.  Still, I worry.  They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness.  The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment