Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Runaway King by Jennifer Nielsen | Audiobook Review

(I like the simplicity of the covers in this trilogy.  They all coordinate and they convey the feel of the books very well.)

Throwback Review!

I originally listened to The Runaway King in May 2013.  I gave it 4 of 5 stars on Goodreads and didn't write a review.  For quite awhile I wasn't writing reviews of audiobooks because I didn't feel like I could be fair.  I listen to audiobooks exclusively during my commute to and from work and it's a beast of a commute and sometimes I'm so mad at traffic that it doesn't matter how good the audiobook is... I just don't want to be sitting parked on the freeway in rush hour traffic for one more minute!  I feel like I've gotten a lot more objective about the audiobooks now that I've got a few audiobook reviews under my belt.

Here's the plot summary from Goodreads:
A kingdom teetering on the brink of destruction.  A king gone missing.  Who will survive?  Find out in the highly anticipated sequel to Jennifer A. Nielsen's blockbuster The False Prince!

Just weeks after Jaron has taken the throne, an assassination attempt forces him into a deadly situation.  Rumors of a coming war are winding their way between the castle walls, and Jaron feels the pressure quietly mounting within Carthya.  Soon, it becomes clear that deserting the kingdom may be his only hope of saving it.  But the further Jaron is forced to run from his identity, the more he wonders if it is possible to go too far.  Will he ever be able to return home again?  Or will he have to sacrifice his own life in order to save the kingdom?

The stunning second installment of the Ascendance Trilogy takes readers on a roller-coaster ride of treason and murder, thrills and peril, as they journey with the Runaway King!

I don't actually remember this book in great detail, so it obviously didn't leave much of an impact on me.  Hmm.  I do remember pirates, and I believe that's what bumped this book from a mediocre 3 stars to a pretty decent 4 stars.  I like pirates.  There was also plenty of action in this book, like in The False Prince.  This is also where we get to know more about Amarinda (sp?), the princess that Jaron is supposed to be marrying.  I remember this felt a little weird because I think Jaron is only 15?  16?  I think I had a misconception from The False Prince and was even picturing him even younger than that, like 14 years old.  So the brief discussions of love and marriage (I promise there's not too many) felt weird to me.  So this book definitely didn't pack the punch that the first book did, but still worth reading if you read and enjoyed The False Prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment