Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday

This is a neat weekly feature over at a blog I really enjoy, The Broke and the Bookish.  They read books similar to some that I've been reviewing, and they're fun and they write well.  Totally worth checking out!

Top Ten Classics

(There is always a little debate about what a "classic" book is.  These are the top ten books I've read that I would consider to have stood the test of time... in my (very) humble opinion!)

1. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.  If you're a regular reader here, you'll already be familiar with my obsession with this series.  LOVE THEM.

2. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.  This is one of the best books of all time, all categories, hands down.  Especially in today's political climate: a must read.

3. Complete Short Stories by Ernest Hemingway.  I went through a phase in high school/college where I read EVERYTHING Hemingway.  I was obsessed.  You know the teenage girls who are all squealing over John Green right now?  That was me in high school... but about Hemingway.  I was def an odd duck.

4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.  I swoon at this book.  I love it!  And I'm not alone: dozens of books have been published since that build on the same plot devices.  Love it!

5. The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien.  I think I've read The Hobbit 3 or 4 times and the trilogy 3 times and they never get old.

6. The Shining and Doctor Sleep by Stephen King.  The Shining is already a "cult classic" of sorts, and I think Doctor Sleep (the sequel) will be too.  King is just such a fantastic writer!  I think he's the only author to give me literal goosebumps while reading his books.

7. The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey.  I think this is a sleeper classic.  Most people haven't discovered it yet.  In fact, with a publication date in 1975, it might just not be old enough to be a classic yet.

8. Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain.  Who doesn't love this little gem?

9. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  The South.  A plucky kid standing up against racial prejudice.  What's not to love?

10. The second half of Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.  I was waaaay too confused to enjoy the first half, but when I finally figured out the characters and plot I ended up liking the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment