Saturday, December 13, 2014

Baby Be-Bop by Francesca Lia Block | Book Review


Just like with the first four Weetzie Bat books, Baby Be-Bop is short, so my review will be too.  And just like the other Weetzie Bat books, this one is written in a lyrical, dream-like style.  I read the first five Weetzie Bat books back-to-back-to-back, so by the time I reached Baby Be-Bop I was totally used to the language.

Baby Be-Bop is told from Dirk's point of view.  What makes it unique is that it's a flashback; it's Dirk's memories; instead of stream-of-consciousness in-the-moment like the other books.  This one tells of Dirk growing up scared of his love for other boys, and his journey to meeting Duck.  Because most of this is told as a memory, there's not actually much romance until near the end.  It's more a coming-of-age story.

I think that you could read this by itself, but you would need to read it as part of the series to get the maximum enjoyment out of it.  I would recommend this book to someone who had already read most of the series.

*I checked out my copy of Baby Be-Bop from my public library.

No comments:

Post a Comment