This is a neat weekly feature over at a blog I really enjoy, The Broke and the Bookish. They read books similar to some that I've been reviewing, and they're fun and they write well. Totally worth checking out!
Top Ten New-to-Me Authors I Read in 2014
1. Megan Shepherd, author of The Madman's Daughter, Her Dark Curiosity, and The Cold Legacy. I totally fangirl over these books all the time and am always telling people to read them. And I've now had two opportunities to see Megan Shepherd at author events and she's a pretty cool gal.
2. Claudia Gray, author of A Thousand Pieces of You. Again, so good that I immediately handed it to a coworker after reading it, and told her that she must also read it. It's going to be so hard to wait for the second book in the trilogy!
3. Warren Adler, author of Trans-Siberian Express. I loved this book so much more than I expected! I might be gifting this one to my dad soon, and will be reading more Warren Adler in the future.
4. Liane Moriarty, author of The Husband's Secret. Once I got to about the halfway point I had to ignore all my other obligations until I finished it.
5. Sue Monk Kidd, author of The Secret Life of Bees and The Invention of Wings. I can't believe I didn't read her sooner! I LOVED The Secret Life of Bees. I'm a sucker for books set in SC.
6. Ransom Riggs, author of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and Hollow City. I totally missed all the buzz when Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children first came out, so I got to read the two books back-to-back. I think I would've read them sooner if someone had told me about the photographs!
7. R.C. Lewis, the author of Stitching Snow. This book was so good that I immediately handed the ARC to a coworker after reading it, and told her that she must also read it.
8. Erika Robuck, author of Hemingway's Girl. I loved this book! After reading it, I immediately gave my copy to my sister-in-love to read, and she's going to pass it on to our mother-in-love after that!
9. Neal Shusterman, author of Unwind. This was so good! Dark, but good. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this trilogy in 2015.
10. Francesca Lia Block, author of Teen Spirit, Weetzie Bat, Witch Baby, Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys, Missing Angel Juan, Baby Be-Bop, and Dangerous Angels. This one is a "sorta." I did not care for Teen Spirit, but was encouraged to try the Weetzie Bat books and I'm so glad I did! They're totally different from Teen Spirit.
What about you? What new-to-you authors did you discover this year? I love reading others' TTT, so please leave a comment with a link!