Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Ovenly: Sweet and Salty Recipes From New York's Most Creative Bakery by Erin Patinkin with Agatha Kulaga | Cookbook Review

(Doesn't that cake look sooo delicous??)

I reacted like Pavlov's dog to all the delicious recipes and gorgeous photos in this cookbook!  Ovenly is a collection of sweet and savory baked goods recipes from the owner-founders of the bakery by the same name in NYC.  If I lived anywhere near this bakery I'd be there every morning for breakfast!

The cookbook opens with two prologues, one from each owner-founder.  In these prologues, Erin and Agatha share their backgrounds and how they became involved in baking.  And they met through a food-based book club!  How neat is that?  The bios aren't long; about 2-3 pages each, and they really made me feel "connected" to the authors.  They're not much older than me!  I'm super impressed.  Then each recipe is prefaced with a short paragraph about how the girls came to create the baked good.  These little vignettes gave me extra insight into the early days of their bakery and/or their lives before Ovenly.  I loved this!

There are dozens of recipes in this cookbook, and all are accompanied by photos.  (YAY!)  It was hard to pick just a few to try before returning the cookbook to the library.  The two recipes I did end up trying were both winners that will be repeated in our house:  Feta, Basil, and Scallion Muffins and Pumpkin Olive Oil Bread.  I followed the recipe exactly for the muffins and they turned out fantastic!  The hubby gave them two thumbs up too, and ate three the day that I made them.  For the Pumpkin Olive Oil Bread, I substituted out the all-purpose flour and sugar for whole-wheat flour and honey, and it still turned out perfectly.  So moist!  The recipe made two loaves, and I plan to gift the 2nd loaf to my parents.

I didn't think the other recipes in the book looked any more complicated than usual, and I didn't see any odd or unusual ingredients either.  I give this cookbook 5 of 5 stars for it's layout, content, photos, and ease of the recipes!

*I checked out my copy of Ovenly from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment