Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Lace One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects Celebrating the Possibilities of Lace by Judith Durant | Book Review

Lace One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects Celebrating the Possibilities of Lace

I know I've reviewed cookbooks on here before, but I think this may be the first time I've reviewed a craft book.  Maybe the second?  I know I don't do it often.

I really thought this was a great book!  I checked it out from my library, but I added it to my wishlist for purchase so that I could try more projects from it.  You would think that with 101 projects, some of them wouldn't get photographed.  But no!  Every single one of the 101 projects has at least one, if not two or three, full color photographs of the finished product.  Every project has very clear and complete materials lists, and all of the instructions and charts are easy to read and follow.  The author also took the time to "rate" each pattern as Easy, Medium, or Difficult.  From what I could tell just looking over patterns, the ratings seemed pretty spot-on.  When I checked out this book, I hadn't knitted anything in about a decade (I'm a crochet lover) and I had no trouble picking a project and completing it.  All of the projects looked so pretty!  It was hard to decide which one to try.  I ended up making a shawl, and it turned out perfectly on the first try.  I do not attribute this to skill on my part (remember... haven't knitted in over a decade) but rather to the clarity of the instructions.  In fact, the only gripe I had was a minor one: it's not a lay-flat book.  I ended up photo-copying the two pages that I needed for my project and following those; you'd have to break the spine in order to get this book to stay open.  But that's such a minor complaint!  Oh, and the title is totally accurate.  None of the projects call for more than 1 skein of yarn!  I give this book 4 of 5 stars.  I had such fun looking through all the patterns, and I got a pretty new shawl out of it.

*I checked out my copy of Lace One-Skein Wonders from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment