Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys


Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys is the third Weetzie Bat book, and I thought it was one of the best of the six.  This one is told from Cherokee's point of view (she's Weetzie's daughter) and the plot revolves around a band that she forms with Witch Baby, Raphael, and Angel Juan.  Maybe I connected with this one more because my hubby used to be in a band, and music is a big part of our life?

Just like Weetzie Bat and Witch Baby, Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys is written very lyrically.  We really get to know Cherokee Bat in this book, but the peripheral characters are very fuzzy.  It's like that in all these books, really.  Fuzzy secondary characters.  But it's ok.  That just serves to shine a brighter spotlight on the main character.  And there are six books; eventually the reader gets to know all the characters.

Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys is unique in that it offers a moral of sorts.  Throughout the story, Cherokee keeps asking Coyote, a Native American family friend, for help making magical gifts for all of her bandmates.  However, because her motives aren't pure some of the gifts backfire.  I really enjoyed watching the characters' relationships change as they grew and came of age.

While this is the third book in a "series," I feel like it could possibly stand on it's own.  Short, enjoyable read.

*I checked out my copy of Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment