Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Best Mug Cakes Ever: Treat Yourself to Homemade Cake for One in Five Minutes or Less by Monica Sweeney | Cookbook Review

Best Mug Cakes Ever: Treat Yourself to Homemade Cake for One in Five Minutes or Less

A few months ago I did a program at work where I let the teens make individual fresh, hot chocolate chip cookies in cups.  They LOVED it!  And that might even be an understatement.  So I checked out this cookbook to see what other in-a-mug recipes I could take to the teens.  I ended up finding recipes for me!

I definitely have a sweet tooth, so the first thing I tried was Peanut Butter Cookie in a Mug.  Super delicious!  And easy.  The only dishes involved were the mug and a spoon.  All of the ingredients were things I already had at the house.  And I found all of the above to be true for nearly all the recipes in the book.  Very few dishes were dirtied (especially compared to the sinkful of dishes I always end up with after making a full cake) and almost none of the recipes called for ingredients you don't already have in your pantry.

You know how I like photos in my cookbooks... well, there's not 100% photos in this cookbook, but there's enough.  And really, a lot of mug cakes look pretty similar.  I was definitely satisfied with the amount of photos.  The instructions for each recipe were easy to follow.  I don't think it'd take more than 5 minutes from start of assembly to enjoying your treat for any of the recipes.

Then this past week I tried two breakfast recipes.  I have this awesome travel soup mug, so I could assemble the French Toast in a Mug and the Oatmeal in a Mug at home, then pop it in the microwave at work for a hot breakfast in minutes.  The French Toast in a Mug was a smashing success for me, and I will definitely do it again.  The Oatmeal was a little bit of a miss for me.  It involved some smashed banana and egg, so it was more of a boatmeal (baked oatmeal).  But it was so very bland!  I think next time (if there is a next time), I'll add some diced strawberries or raisins to it.

This was a fun little cookbook!

*I checked out my copy of Best Mug Cakes Ever from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment