Friday, January 23, 2015

Retronaut: The Photographic Time Machine by Chris Wild | Book Review

Retronaut: The Photographic Time Machine

Oh, man what a fun book!  I checked it out of my library, but I'm definitely adding this to my wishlist for purchase.  Retronaut is a book-form collection of the best of the best photos from retronaut.com.  They are such fun!  The author has loosely grouped the photos by common themes.  I intended to pace myself, but I totally devoured this book over just two sittings!  Not only are all the photos so neat, but I learned many fun facts from the captions.  For instance, did you know that a book publisher in 1880s England put out a pamphlet of emoticons using typefaces?  Me neither!  So emoticons are old enough to be cool again, eh?  The photos go all the way back to the 1880s, when photography was very, very new, and up to the 1990s (which some of us may not consider "history").  When at all possible, the photos are in color, and all of them are full-page.  There is absolutely no white space in this book!  The attention to detail, the great selection of all different types of photos from all over the world, the full page color prints all recommend this book for purchase.

*I checked out my copy of Retronaut from my local library, but have also added it to my to-own wishlist!

No comments:

Post a Comment