Friday, January 16, 2015

Charming by Elliott James | Book Review

Charming (Pax Arcana, #1)
(I do like the byline on the book: "Not All Princes are...")

Flashback Friday Review!

I originally read and reviewed Charming in October 2013, before I started this blog.  What follows is the Goodreads synopsis of the book and my review that I posted there.  Look for my review of Daring (the sequel, which I just finished reading) next Thursday!

From Goodreads:  John Charming isn't your average Prince... 

He comes from a line of Charmings — an illustrious family of dragon slayers, witch-finders and killers dating back to before the fall of Rome. Trained by a modern day version of the Knights Templar, monster hunters who have updated their methods from chainmail and crossbows to kevlar and shotguns, he was one of the best. That is — until he became the abomination the Knights were sworn to hunt.

That was a lifetime ago. Now, he tends bar under an assumed name in rural Virginia and leads a peaceful, quiet life. One that shouldn't change just because a vampire and a blonde walked into his bar... Right?

My review:  Easily the best paranormal fantasy I've ever read! At the start of the novel John Charming is a bartender in a small NC town and he's trying his hardest to avoid any "excitement" in his life. That's all going to go to pot when a tall, strikingly beautiful blonde walks into his bar and proceeds to take out three vampires. What else would Prince Charming do but jump into the fray and assist the leggy blonde? What follows is nonstop action as John and his ragtag team defend their town from vampires. 

But this book is SO MUCH MORE than just a hero taking down vampires! James Elliott writes with a fantastic dry sense of humor that had me literally laughing out loud. And believe it or not, the plot is actually plausible! John Charming easily explains to the reader how vampires and werewolves and shape shifters can exist among us without attracting attention. I am beyond excited that this is going to be a series!

*I checked out my copy of Charming from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment